Monday, July 6, 2009

Peaceful Reverence.

Do you Pray?

(Daily)

Do you Meditate?

(Daily)

Do you give thanks?

(Daily)

Do you pay homage to something greater than you?

(Daily)

Do you "really" hear the whisper?

(Daily)

I do.....


Isn't this just beautiful in color and texture? Do you "feel" the warmth and comfort just in the photo of it? This is my Prayer-Shawl. Colors of Monet, a favorite Artist of mine for as long as I can remember. Most of his reproductions hung on my teenager walls. Postcards stuck around my vanity mirror. Stroking the glossy pages of Art books, that contained print after print of his works of color and emotion. A man who was totally blind in the end.

My best friend/ ya-ya/ and my Chica C, made this for me a few birthdays back. Can you see each knit that was cast, was done with such love and of great thought? C finishing off this beautiful sacred treasure of mine, do you see the "mini-mala" that dangles all my hopes and dreams in it?


My Chica has made me a scarf and this Prayer Shawl. She is so good at her hand work that, I marvel at her accomplishment's. To admit, I have tried to knit and I just do not have the patience for it. My mind wanders and focusing is alien to me. So, here is this creation, of color, PEACE, and birthday wishes.

As a Child of God, I have always believed in the greater than me. I will spare you my philosophical truths and theories of my spirituality. Still, my Chica honored my beliefs, when thinking of and then putting her hands to works of love, in her creating and the giving to me this Prayer Shawl.

I have also indulged others with my wearing this out in public. I have taken it to the movies in winter. Theaters are just so so cold! Every evening if necessary, when friends are gathered over, I have draped it around me on the chilly nights sitting out back on the patio. Mornings when the chill is still in the air, and coffee is casting off a slight steam, I sit on the patio and sip my cup and read my book. All underneath the warmth of my Prayer shawl.


And this is my Prayer Mala. One that "I" (yes, I wrote I) created. It was last July when all us "Ya-ya's" went up to the cabin (as we have for 4 or 5 years now) I should check with Carol on that time line! LOL! We do this to be celebratory of each of us and of who we are to one another. All these momentous times, C has always found ways to acknowledge our time spent, as well as, ways that we could share the same PEACE in the silence that is up there to be had. Last year, with all expense to herself, she brought with her all her beads, wire, tools, "special" glass beads, semi-precious stones of all kinds, and fringe pieces of the threads from the Prayer Shawls she made. (Of course, she made one for R too!) We all sat in the Ramada by the "cabins-in-the-woods" and she instructed and lovingly explained what Mala's are and what chakras are. What the definition of each stone and/or bead meant. She told us that there is no right or wrong way of making one. That it is us and our spirit that will guide us through what we create. Speaking for myself, with the OCD that I have, I wanted it all done and over with quickly so that I could be with the end result and at the same time, was consumed with it being perfect and exact.....BUT.....I became aware that the "process" was more of the prayer than the end result was.


After a few hours of stringing and restringing, I developed and settled with this treasure. Allowing my inner spirit to help me. Choosing the 7 chakras. Amethyst my favorite stone. One for serenity. Garnet as my birth stone. 5 white pearls representing J, me, sons J and T and daughter-in-law M. 4 small bells for my best friends, R, C, B, and N all together. A small white cross for those that have passed on and have moved on. The center leaf to pay respect to our Earth. The tail and fringe of my Mala represents longevity. Ending to the beautiful glass bead, which for me, represents the "wackiness" that life is and our "non-control" of it all.

I love my Mala.


Every weekday morning, after J and son T goes off to work, and of course with kisses and "have a great day!" given to them, as well as, the last of the coffee is poured into my mug, and the dishes are washed and put away, I then go over with said mug of coffee and I wrap my Prayer shawl around my heavey and tired shoulders. I sit quietly in the rocker and I close my eyes. I breathe in and out to be still. I sit my coffee on the table and take my Prayer Mala in hand. In and out I breathe and resume my silence.

At first my thoughts always racing....."what needs to be done today?"....."I need to remember to call such and such today"....."where did I put my book from last night?"....."what are my gratitudes for my blog today?"....."the dogs want out".....everything is loud in my mind.....shhhh.....in and out.....and slowly, I begin to be quiet. I vacate my mind more and I say all of my blessings one by one. I do my best to recall each and everyone of them. As I am revisiting my blessings, I am running my fingers all around my loved Mala. Children.....husband.....family/friends.....shelter.....food.....health.....then for the blessings of actions that I acknowledge from myself and from others. I then say Prayers for our world. For the Earth and the Universe. For the family/friends that are in strife and struggle. For acceptance and understanding in the unknown of life. For my tongue to speak only in kindness and compassion. For guidance in my personal strifes and hurt.

And lastly for PEACE.

It truly sets my day in the right direction for me. It has become apart of my breathing and of my walking throughout my day. Some days I remember to add something new or of value to me the next morning. Of course there are mornings that I have to fly through my blessings but, I do acknowledge them.

I am so grateful to my C for this gift and for her showing us the Mala's. Of my precious Prayer shawl. I have her with me every morning and that is such a gift unto itself. More importantly for me, I have whispers and they begin my day with the perfect sound.

Blessings for all of you and for you to hear whispers too.

3 comments:

Carol Dunton said...

I just hung up from you because I could type everything here...what a beautiful post, Norma.... and your pictures are so touching... you, my dear ya-ya, truly have a gift for the written expression of your spirit, the picutres of your world and the beauty of life around you. Thank you for sharing it all with us. I adore you.
xoxox
VB

Carol Dunton said...

uh..that should of read 'because I COULDN'T type everything here...'

see how verklempt I am?!?!

Martha said...

A beautiful post, Norma. You inspire me. I need to slow down my mind and take time to reflect and meditate more.