Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Peace in Sadness


J and I may seemingly look happy in this photo.....
I assure you it was a sad sad day for us both.....

My amazing, tool-around-the-state and other-places-we-would-go, hair blowin-in-the-wind, gear-shiftin, music-playin, car-seat-dancing, hunk-of-pure-pleasure-metal ride of a Jeep, has had to be shut all up, from our Arizona sun-scorching blare and of the concrete city of unfathomable heat!

Sad.

So sad.

Very sad.

We spent the early part of one evening, taking apart her soft, sand colored bikini top. J had just bought one this past spring season. (as you would know, I was just besides myself with joy and had broken into a "happy-feet" occasion!) Her cute little revealing top, enabled us to have an extra month, than the past years, being "all closed up." Folding up her bikini top with immense love and gratitude, till next year's season permits, we encased her in clear plastic and we laid her upon the shelf.


We stood and unclipped from her rear sides, all the poles, braces, and brackets, that holds up her soft sandy roof. Gently, we began with unfolding her roof from her back, pulling up and over, forming her distinct beautiful boxed shape. Once snapped into place on the top of her windshield, we slowly and with care and caution, began to unfurl her back window down. It is done this way so not to create the hard creases that can happen to each of them. It will blur ones driving vision. We then take down from the another shelf, her gingerlyed-coiled rolled windows, that were all wrapped in clear plastic and began to flatten each of them out. Standing next to my Jeep, we carefully aligning her zippers and attach them onto each side of her. Smoothing them with a slow downward motion to even them out. Then turning to lift her half side door windows, we lovingly caressing each with a cloth to remove all garage-dust. We then wiggle-slide her door windows into each of her slots.


Shutting her doors closed now, there is a sound only distinct to that of a soft-roofed Jeep. A vacuum sucking sound of being encased and of no longer being free! For me this is not a "happy" sound. It is a reminder that the sun will no longer be kissing my face and bringing to surface all of my God-given freckles. (and some would say, age spots too) It will not have my hair caressed by our suns joy, as also, having it blowing through the wind in catches of the movement. Or tucked underneath a cowboy hat. J will no longer be doning a bandanna on his beautiful balding dome. (He is so sexy in it and owns at least 10 different colors and patterns!) There will be no aroma of Coppertone sunscreen wafting at all the traffic stops we make.


It all is sad.

So sad.

Yes, very sad.

Oh, I mean no intention of implying that my sadness is that I no longer "love" to be in my Jeep anymore. It is just that the "freedom" of the exuberantness of driving her all open is lessened now. I smile when I open the garage door and spy her there waiting for me. I can promise too that I still have to catch my breath when I get into her drivers seat. I am giddy each and every time I spend with her. She truly brings my absolute pure bliss! As chica C would call it, "I'm just stupid for her!"

Have I also mentioned that she hasn't had a "bath" in well over a year? If not even longer than that! She's a Jeep and she is beautiful just as she is! Just like her driver for sure!

It is my hope and prayer, that I will be driving one till the good Lord decides otherwise for me. With my still peace and with girly-giggles at the age of 85, and with all my faculties intact I will be driving her! Oh yes, my hair maybe so very coarse, white and gray by then yet, I am still looking forward to the wind twirling and carrying each strand of my locks with all it's gentleness. As for my sun-wrinkled face, I will be of glee and gratitude for the time spent!

And honestly, I really think I can last till February when I take her apart again!

Oh yes, to be free again.....

1 comment:

Carol Dunton said...

Okay..how ironic that you write about this....because when you picked me up yesterday, I was looking forward to having the wind in my hair!! I was actually a bit sad as your came down the street and I saw her all closed up! Waaa!
(sigh)
Oh well, it is how life is in the desert. I feel the same way about closing up my house...no more opened windows at night...breezes and fresh air!

As for the time line... we all walk to the beat of a different drummer... : )))
xoxox
Chica C