Saturday, February 14, 2009

Peace-N-Love

Happy Valentine's Day!

Will you all be mine?

When walking the aisles at my closest Hallmark store last week, a trip I so enjoy for no reason at all at any time and who doesn't like Hallmark, I found that the store held more rows than when it was Christmas time....there were 3 rows upon rows of pink, red, and purples....some that were sparkling and some with touches of glitter....there was one that held all their famous "singing" cards....ones for the cards that you can record your voice to....there was even a a small section that was of Homer Simpson wishing you the very sexiest of Valentine's....now, Homer Simpson would never-ever make me want to think romantically towards my husband!....kinda scary huh?....I stood there giggling while reading the Shoebox ones as I always do....drawing attention to myself...having strangers turn but, giving me the look of, "oh I so understand" and we exchange smiles or a tee-hee....then finding the area of the ones that had me in a puddle that read such deep sentiment...resting upon the one I found that would touch my heart in expressing to my precious sister that she too is my Valentine....each of these paper colors bring such love and laughter that we should have the spirit of Valentine's everyday we live on this earth, no?

My husband and I have had many many Valentine's Days together....in our starting out years, our Valentine's Day were the handmade ones because money was ever so tight....formula and diapers was where our money needed to be....so while babies were napping, I would sit at our kitchen table and rummage through our eldest sons art supplies and with love filled in my heart, create crayon colored cut-out hearts in all shapes and sizes....then hanging them all around the house so that when my Valentine came home, all these hearts would cover him in love....some years I made coupon books that was filled with everything from allowing him to sleep in, to washing his car, to a back rub with it NOT leading to "other" things!....we were both just too tired back in those days!....

Our boys have been men for awhile now and they are off doing their own things so to speak....so now for the last, I would dare say 5 years, we both have left one another's Valentine's Day cards all over our house....and mercy, there are many that are all over the place!....after we have woken up and gotten out of bed, and have enjoyed our mornings Valentine's Day coffee with one another, we go about our days rituals and discover our Valentine's to one another....we find our written love for one another in all the best places!....in the shower (before the water is on!)....in our walk-in closet where we dress....in our bathroom sink....in-between the sports section pages in the morning paper.....the medicine cabinet....my jewelry box....on top of the piano....laying on our pillow before we get into bed...

Each of our envelopes have handwritten words of song titles that have an importance to us both, or are of words that are endearing....some have been of our pet names for one another....our day together is coming across ones that we have hidden or tucked away for the other to find....each time one is found and read, we seek the other out....kisses are covered on their cheeks....tissues maybe handed to one another....throughout the day after they are discovered and thanked for, we then hang each of them up on our pantry door....this way, we can allow each one to wash over us as we pass by them every moment of the day....

My husband forever will be my Valentine....I have truly known no other in this capacity....no other soul is for me....all the words have been written about us....all the words are real....and all the cards that are printed, will always be exchanged every year....we both live our life as it is Valentine's Day everyday....

I hope that your Valentine's are ones that can be everyday....be it a best friend that asks you to be one....a son or daughter....a Mom and Dad....even ones beloved pet...just remember that L-O-V-E is something that we do, not somewhere we fall....

Sitting here, I wonder how many more love notes I "still" need to find and is there enough room on the pantry doors for them all?

1 comment:

Martha said...

What a wonderful Valentine's Day tradition! I, too, have found my permanent sweetheart Valentine and it makes every day more special and wonderful. I know, too, that you hold me in your heart as I hold you in mine.

Love you, Valentine!
Martha